Friday, July 12, 2013

seeing with my heart

as i grow as an artist; i begin to see more with my heart.

when i was a boy, no older than ten years old, i kept a sketch pad.  i would place one of its pages over an image and use carbon paper to trace the outlines of animals, then color the image that i replicated with colored pencils.

one day i decided to do something different, i tried to draw freehand, the three little pigs it was... needless to say, when i finished coloring them, my pigs were brown, the legs were disproportionate, they wore hats unlike the original. but most importantly they were my pigs: different than the original. from that day on, i never traced again.

in my wedding photography, i have started to look more for moments between client and photographer as opposed the old photographic model i operated on i.e. of maximizing the number of photographs between lens and client. this new model has begun to make a profound positive difference in my relationship with clients and development as an artist. i connect more with clients and my eyes, lens, and heart find and see more moments.

in regards to images, my heart envisions lots of images that look and feel vintage. so how do i as an artist balance my nostalgia for things vintage: jazz, old photographs, vintage fashion, black and white images, deep textures etc... with modern wedding photography? i don't trace, i create little pigs that are my own; i see with my heart.

note: see with your heart as well as find balance between you and your client's needs, yet you must come to the point of deciding "this is how i shoot, this is my style," and hold steadfast to that notion. it sounds a bit counter intuitive but its not. and stay away from trends. "two roads diverge in a yellow wood" you can't travel both if you want to have a legacy.



keep kewl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog